About TSTM (Junior) Exam
Bihar Mathematical Society was established on 1st February 1958 at Bhagalpur. The
association serves as apex body of Mathematics educators to promote excellence in
Mathematics. It provides a common platform for teachers, scientists and research
scholars from different parts of the country to exchange ideas for improvement in
the field of Mathematics.
In order to motivate young students towards Mathematical Olympiads, the Bihar Mathematical Society (BMS) started organizing Talent Search Test in Mathematics (TSTM) since 1993 for school students of standards VIII and IX all over (undivided) Bihar. TSTM is more or less a pre-test for RMO in the sense that the first thirty successful candidates of TSTM, called TSTM WINNERS, are allowed to appear at RMO. This experiment has been a grand success since Rishi Raj, a student of Class IX from Bihar, selected in merit list of TSTM, bagged a silver medal at the IMO for four consecutive years. It was a unique achievement which astonished almost all Mathematicians associated with the Olympiads.
1. Talent Search Test in Mathematics (TSTM - Junior) :
On pressing demand from Guardians and Principals of different Schools the BMS decided to conduct TSTM (Jr.) for students of classes standard VI / VII from the year 2002.The main aim of the scheme locate the talent hidden among young children, motivate them toward rational thinking and prepare them from the earliest stage for the Mathematical Olympiads and other Mathematical contests. Such test is sure to remove phobia of Mathematics from the minds of our young students and it may create so much interest for this subject in them that like Ramanujam they may treat Mathematics as a game and playmate.
2. Aims and objectives of TSTM
1. To equip the students for RMO, INMO, IMO and other competitive examinations.
2. To make the students academically competent to appear for various competitive examinations and to inculcate in them the ambition to succeed in such examinations from an early age.
3. To search the talented students.
4. To honour and inspire the students by awarding prize
4. TSTM (Junior) Syllabus :
In order to make this test Olympiad oriented the BMS has prescribed the following syllabus for TSTM (Jr.) examination and the distribution of marks is made accordingly:
Group A : 5 questions from the curriculum of standard VI / VII
C.B.S.E / I.C.S.E / B.S.E Board ……………… 5x10=50 Marks
Group B : 5 questions (beyond the class curriculum) from the following topics :
1. Number Systems : Natural Numbers, Integers, Rational and Real Numbers.
2. Algebra : Expressions and Equations of first and second degree
3. Fractions, Decimals, Percentage, Ratio and Proportion, Profit and Loss.
4. Geometry : Triangles, Quadrilaterals, Circles.
5. Mensuration : Perimeter,Area and Volume of simple curve.
6. Unitary Method.
8. Data Handling : Probability,Statistics
5. Eligibility : A regular student of standard VI / VII of any recognized school of Bihar is eligible to participate in TSTM (Jr.) Examination. For TSTM (Jr.) the age of a participant as per school records should not exceed 14 years on 31st March of the appearing year.
6. Examination Centres :
TSTM (Jr.)Examination will be conducted at certain specified towns of Bihar. However, it may also be conducted in other towns provided the number of participants in that town is not less than 1000,they will be required to appear at Patna centre. Student will have to appear at the given centre at their own cost.
7. How to apply :
Application Form and Prospectus can be obtained from the Convener- cum- Executive Joint Secretary of BMS on submission of a bank draft/cheque of Rs. 100 (One Hundred only) in favour of “Bihar Mathematical Society” payable at Patna. Application form duly completed and forwarded by the Principal/ Head of the institution of the applicant, must be sent to the Convener- cum- Executive Joint Secretary BMS at Patna office so as to reach him latest by 20th june 2019. Two attested passport size photographs must be pasted on the application form and admit card at the proper places and the application form should be accompanied with a self addressed and properly stamped envelope of size not less than (25cm × 90cm) so that the admit card may be sent to the candidate.Application forms are available now and can be filled online on official website of BMS (www.bmsbihar.org)
8. Application fee :
1. Fee for individual applicant- Rs 100/-
2. School/Institution can obtain application forms from office of BMS, Patna on the payment of Rs 100/- for each student.
3. For obtaining the application form by post, send the amount by DD/Cheque in favour of “Bihar Mathematical Society” Payble at Patna.
9. Examination Pattern :
The questions for written examination will be of subjective type.There will be no negative marking.You are advised to follow NCERT text books of standard VI / VII . Choose your reference books wisely and follow it. The details on the reference books are given here. Two and half hours will be given to answer the questions.
10. Training Programme :
Short term training programme conducted by subject experts may be arranged for intending candidates from 13th September to 20th September 2019.The desirous candidates for short programme may contact the office of BMS Patna.
11. Examination Results and Marks :
After the evaluation of the answer scripts and preparation of the result the same will be communicated to the first 30 successful candidates in the merit list, called the TSTM (Jr.) winners. Marks obtained by a candidate may be communicated to him/her. A copy of the result will be displayed in the office of BMS Patna and on its website.
Medals and Certificates : Certificates to all TSTM (Jr.) winners and medals to first three TSTM (Jr.) winners will be awarded at a function to be announced after the result. Besidesall TSTM (Jr.) winners are entitled to appear at the next TSTM for classes VIII/ IX without making any payment.Top three rank holders will be awarded Gold, Silver and Bronze medals along with cash prize and remaining 27 TSTM winners will be given a certificate of merit and consolation prize.
13. Contact office :
Any enquiry regarding olympiad of TSTM may contact Dr. D N Singh,General Secretary (BMS) at H.Q Bhagalpur,
Dr. Vijay Kumar, Convener-cum-Executive Joint Secretary(BMS), Dept of Mathematics,College of Commerce,Arts and Science ,Patna